Welcome to my Beginner’s guide to Windows Phone 7 Application Development. First up, I want to welcome you to a brand new series in my learning platform. Welcome abroad! And from the looks of it, you don’t have any experience in programming. Not a hassle! I firmly believe that if you want to start learning, you have to be start from ‘zero’ or ‘null’.
So we are a group of people who have no experience in programming, but we really want to learn about it. You are in the right place. It’s not the age anymore when programming an application or software was considered like ‘rocket-science’! We will prove them wrong! You can be an idiot and still manage to build apps! And great ones at that!
Beginner’s guide to Windows Phone 7 Application Development :
Caution-This blog features items which will make you addicted to windows phone 7 app development! So those who still want to continue with their normal lives, please stop right on your tracks!
Before we do start out though, we must have each other’s confidence and promise that we will concentrate on visuals. Done? Let’s roll out!
Getting your tools-
1. Well before we start out with the battle, we need to take our gunships at the ready. And I am gonna tell you where to get them, how you are gonna get them and how you are gonna use them. Let’s get started.
2. Like always, we need a platform where we are going to build our apps. And we have a very good platform at that! We will download an SDK which we are going to use to develop our apps. Pretty much like the Eclipse environment we used in Java programming. You will get even a better-looking (sorry, Eclipse but you still rock!) SDK using which you will have a whale of a time building apps in. So what are we waiting for?!
To download the SDK, just navigate to the Windows App Hub.
You will get a page which looks like this-
3. I have highlighted the part we are interested in. On clicking this, we will be directed to a page where we will get all the information about our SDK. Take a look-
This page also gives you complete information about the items we are going to install in our computer.
4. Now on clicking this, you will be presented with some new windows where you have to do some pretty basic things like agreement to the software license and stuff like that. Your download will start after that.
Alert-The SDK available is not compatible with Windows Vista Service Pack 1. You have to get the Service Pack 2 installed. Same goes with Windows 7.
5. Once the download is completed, we can start creating! Please make sure you get the proper tools before we get started with our next step. Hands-on experience is very essential! I say this from experience!
- Create Hello World Application in Windows Phone 7
- Analysis of Emulator in Windows Phone 7 App Development
- Coding for Hello World Application in Windows Phone 7