We all are well aware of the fact that how well Torrents can be used to share big files over internet. The whole concept of Torrents is in “sharing”. Someone uploads a file others download it and later share the same by becoming a seed for their fellow peers who are still downloading thus maintaining the availability of file.
What is a Torrent Box ?
Well torrent box is the term used for any system that is dedicated to torrent download and upload only. You can use your old PC to create a Torrent Box for yourself. Creating a torrent box gives you the freedom to let it do the downloading and seeding of the torrents while you can use your laptop for some other purpose. Since a Torrent box is essentially used for downloading and seeding purpose you won’t even need a monitor, which makes it very handy and can be placed anywhere in your house.
What are Things Required to create a Torrent Box
So here’s what you’ll need to setup a Torrent Box :
- An old PC
- Any OS Windows or Linux
With these three things set you are ready to start building your own Torrent Box.
Setting up the PC for Torrent Box
Let’us begin with setting up the PC for the Torrent Box. To begin with get a new copy of the OS that you want to install on the system. It’s always good to start with a fresh installation though its not mandatory. For this tutorial we assume you have a Windows copy to install.The system configurations are not much of a concern as our prime focus is only downloading and uploading, however make sure to get a large storage .
During installing the OS follow following tips :
- Format the drive to NTFS, so that you can share files that are greater than 4GB in size. 4GB is the size limit in FAT32 drives.
- Create a shared Drive or Folder. This will allow you to access data remotely.Simply create a folder on your main download drive, right click and choose Share. This is where all your downloaded data will go.
Setting up uTorrent :
Now that our PC is set let’s set our Torrent client to recieve torrent file remotely and download and seed them as per the need.
- Download the latest version of the uTorrent and install it.
- Simply press Ctrl+P to reach to Preferences dialog.And within “General” tab elect “Start uTorrent on Startup” This would ensure that every time your system restarts your torrent download or upload is resumed.
- Under Web UI, check Enable Web UI and create a username and password.
Setting up Remote Access
Now that the uTorrent is set let’s create Remote Access to access torrent client remotely.
- Turn on your Torrent Box and make sure that its connected to a network and uTorrent client is running. Using any other machine on your network visit http://192.168.0.x:port/gui/ from a web browser, where x is the computer’s location on the network and port is either your uTorrent client’s connection port or alternative listening port.
- Now you’ll be prompted for a Username and Password that you have created earlier under uTorrent’s Web UI preferences. Just enter them and you’ll be presented with uTorrent’s web user interface.
- From here you can remotely Add, Remove and manage your Torrents.
Just in case you want to access torrents from a location other than your network you would need to use uTorrent Remote which requires a static IP address.If you have one then simply visit http://yourip:port/gui/. You can get to know your IP from What Is My IP. In case you don’t have a static IP try to use services like DynDNS.
So why should you setup a Torrent Box
Here are a few benefits of a Torrent Box:
- You can easily monitor your torrents remotely
- It costs almost nothing to set one and is easy to use
- Gives you freedom to set it up and let it handle downloading and seeding of files while you can do some other serious work on your system.