Note : This post is meant only for residents of IIT-KGP.
OS woes never end. I know people struggling to get their Windows 8 preview copy get activated somehow, but you and I both know, that’s not gonna happen. Why not use the licensed working copy instead
Many of us don’t know, IIT KGP’s CIC provides students with licensed versions of Windows OS and other useful softwares. Here are the steps:
1. Getting the installation file from Software Repository
- Open Run (Windows Key + R) and type \\22.214.171.124 as shown and hit okay.
- This will open the Software Repository link, open the folder to browse available Softwares.
- Navigate to Software Repository > Microsoft.
- The folder Office contains a number of Microsoft Office versions including the latest Office 2013 (32 bit, 64 bit), similarly, The folder OS_ISOs contains a number of Microsoft Windows versions including the latest Windows 8 Professional (32 bit, 64 bit).
- Copy the required ISO files to your local Drive.
2. Getting the Activation Key
- You will need a key to activate your version of Windows. You can go to CIC in person or
mail them(EDIT : Please visit CIC in person and ask for the Activation key) and request to give you the key (Not a major issue!), make sure you mention the correct version of Windows.
- Activation key needs to be entered within 30 days of your Windows Installation.
- Remember that, for activation key to work, you will need to be using KGP’s IP (i.e : LAN/Wi-Fi), it wouldn’t work outside the campus. Once activated, it would work fine anywhere.
3. Installing Windows
- You can use a 4 GB (or Higher) USB Pen drive to make a bootable version of the ISO you downloaded through CIC using Windows DVD to USB Download tool, available for free here.
- I would recommend a fresh installation instead of an upgrade for the smooth functioning of your PC.
- Don’t forget to backup your Data before installing Windows.
4. Activating Windows
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
- In the search box, type Slui.exe 0x3. (the 0x3 is important)
- Tap or click the Slui.exe 0x3 icon.
- Type your product key in the Windows Activation window, and then click Activate.
- Hurray, you have a genuine Windows OS with you now. :)
You can use the same method to obtain other softwares available through CIC. Pass on the info to your friends. If you face any difficulty, post it as a comment below.
Configure Windows Appstore Behind Proxy : http://www.comptalks.com/running-windows-8-appstore-behind-proxy/